Sunday, February 05, 2006

Eric, Barry and Pilsner

Dear people of the world,

I am writing is on a Sunday night knowing that I have to get up early tomorrow morning and fly from Copenhagen where I live to boring Stockholm. Not the coolest thing in the world to do.

Tonight my emotions are split between personal happiness and anger over the state of affairs in the world. Over being in love (don't tell my friends that think I will be single forever) and over my anger over watching islamist fanatics burning the Danish flag (I would burn it myself over our high taxes, but never over cartoons of some weirdo “god”).

I am an optimist and this Blog will be written in the spirit of optimism. Optimism is surely what makes it worthwhile living. However, it will not be a tree hugging silly hippie like optimism but rather a optimism based on human abilities and opportunity. A celebration of freedom.Two historical figures will be the light of inspiration for this blog - and therefore the name of the blog besides I am a Dane. Two freedom fighters - Eric Cartman and Barry Goldwater. One a character of imagination and the other real historical figure (I am not sure who is who). Both of them represent my view of life – Freedom, humor and a good pilsner. Both celebrate Freedom (and yeah on this blog Freedom is always spelled with a capital F). My ideals are libertarian. I love freedom and will always defend freedom. That means that I love free markets in all its forms - even when it means selling crack cocaine in the form of Pocahontas (or Cocahontas) in toy shops to five year old kids - and free minds (and you Osama is not one of those!!).

However, even if I am a libertarian and I believe in people's right to choose to live their life as they feel fit, it does not mean that my tax money should go to support all kind of hippies and tree huggers that don't want to work for a living. And it does not mean that I should be told to support all kind of weirdo life styles that I don't have to identify with hippies, drug addicts, islamists or worst of all vegetarians and bible preaching non beer drinking lunatics. And it does not mean that I can not tell jokes about Mohammed, handicapped, hippies, Jews, sociologists, vegetarians and even Margrethe Thatcher (and no mom I don’t have sexual fantasies about the Baroness …anymore). Tolerance is about allowing people to live the way they want as long as I don't have to pay for it. If you don't like pork - don't eat it. I happen to love it. So mind you your own business and fuck off if you don't like my pork-eating habits.

Lets end this intro with two quotes from our heros Eric and Barry:

“I've been keeping this place free of hippies since I was five and a half” – Eric Cartman

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” – Barry Goldwater

So remember people, today is a new day. Today we start celebrating freedom and don’t be ashamed to live in a country where you can speak freely and make jokes about a so-called prophet (no George and Tony its not you…).

This blog will not entirely be about politics - because life is not about politics - but rather it will be my personal opinions about life. And for me life is about a whole lot more than politics - mostly sex, football and beer...and don't forget I am a socially conservative when it comes to my own life and personal values - so family might show up here as well (and no I will not tell you how to live your life but rather how I try to live my life...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home